Name of a group of naturally occurring minerals that separate into strong, very fine needle like fibers. These fibers are heat resistant and extremely durable. However, due to increasingly health concerns which linked to Lung Cancer, Asbestosis (a serious of progressive, long-term, non-cancer disease of the lungs, and Mesothelioma (a rare form of cancer of the chest and/or stomach), the use of several asbestos products were banned under existing regulations.
AHERA, EPA and OSHA Regulations covering asbestos containing materials in pre-1980 construction under 29CFR 1926.1101 requires for several building materials such as spray-on acoustical ceiling, drywall, joint compound, texture, vinyl flooring, insulation on pipes and ducts, Transite panels, stucco, etc. to be presumed asbestos containing unless it is determined by proper sampling and analysis that the material is not. It may be found in:
- Attic and wall insulation products containing vermiculite
- Roofing and siding shingles
- Oil and coal furnaces and door gaskets AHERA
- Walls and floors around wood-burning stoves protected with asb. paper or cement sheets
- Textured painting and patching compounds
- Coated hot water and steam pipes
Further, in Nevada, under the Clark County Air Quality Regulations, prior to the commencement of a demolition or renovation (remodel) operation, the owner or operator of the demolition or renovation activity must thoroughly inspect the affected facility or part of the facility (regardless of the date of construction) where the demolition or renovation operation will occur, for the presence of asbestos. The inspection must be conducted by a qualified AHERA building inspector licensed by Nevada OSHA.
With combined field and management experience of 20 years, Enviro-Con Integrated Solutions provides clients with comprehensive asbestos services from inspections to abatement management.
• Visual inspections and Hazard Assessment
• Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Programs
• Abatement Clearance Inspections
• Building Survey-Air and Bulk Sampling
• Project Management
• Air monitoring